The Broad Jump Burpee Introduction
Add some plyometric training into your burpees.Ever competed in the long jump at school? If so you already know part of the movement to the burpee broad jump.
Last week we covered the jump tuck burpee. Keeping with that theme, we are going to cover another burpee move that adds in some plyometric training.
Broad Jump Burpees have become really popular in many CossFit boxes and for a good reason.
They are a great exercise to help you develop explosive leg strength, speed, agility, and burn fat.
This exercise can be broken down into 2 separate movements. 3 if you chose to include the push-up into this exercise.
The long/broad jump, the burpee and optionally the push-up. We are going to cover below exactly how you are to chain the 3 movements into one exercise.
If you do not want to perform the push-up just skip step 3 in our guide.
Broad Jump Burpees How To
Step 1 The Broad Jump
- Have your feet at shoulder width or slightly wider. Your toes should be pointing slightly out.
- Bend at the knees as you push your butt back Continue lowering your body until the crease at your hip is level with the top of your knees(or when your knees are at 90 degrees).
- Explosively jump from your legs (you can also swing your arms to create extra momentum) and propel yourself forward as far as you can.
Step 2 The Burpee
- Once you land from the broad jump, you are to bend at the hips and knees as you lean forward placing the palms of your hands onto the ground.
- Once your hands are on the ground jump both of your feet back at the same time, so you end in the high-plank/push-up position.
- To make the exercise harder perform step 3 now.
- Then jump your feet back towards your hands.
- Once your feet have landed lift your hands from the floor and return to the standing position.
- You have completed one repetition.
Step 3 The Push-Up Optional
- Inhale as you lower your body down towards the floor. Keep lowering until your chest is almost touching it. Keep your elbows tucked close to your body.
- Breathe out and push your body back up to the high plank position while squeezing your chest.
The Broad Jump Burpee is a high-intensity full body exercise. You can use it to burn a lot of calories in a short period.
Its a calisthenic and plyometric exercise that requires no equipment. Making it perfect for you to use at the gym or home.
Most athletes perform the burpee push-up variation to get even more out of this exercise. But performing the push-up is not required when you carry out this activity.
But if you want to get the most out of the burpee broad jump, you should also be including the push-up variation into your routine. Also, make sure you are explosively jumping.
You can add weighted clothing to increase the difficulty.
If you are new to exercising, you should begin with an easier plyometric. The Bench Hop Over or Alien Squat work as great beginner exercises.
That sums it up for today's exercise. Now get out and try the burpee broad jump and see for yourself how efficient it is.
You may also like
Tuck Jump Burpees Your How To Guide
Your Burpees Over The Bar How To Guide
The Pop Squat Your How to Guide
The Bench Hops Exercise How To Guide
Looking to gain more strength or lose some weight? We offer free fitness tools to help you reach your fitness goals. Register for free while we are in beta and get free lifetime access to our fitness tools that include an easy to use Calorie Counter, High-Intensity Interval Timer, Multiple Fitness Calculators and our Exercise Logger.